Monday, March 12, 2012

Menu Monday {27-Feb-12}

Only a week late! Things got a little... complicated last week. Anyways, on with the food!

Homemade Pizza
An Original


I use a boxed pizza dough and store bought sauce when I make it at home. It's simply to much effort to make dough from scratch. That and I don't get along with yeast. (If anyone has any yeast/bread baking tips I'm all ears!) Make the dough according to the direction on the box and pre-bake. This time I used Classico pizza sauce and added some basil, oregano, chili powder and garlic powder. I topped it with roasted red peppers and pepperoni (plus some jalapenos for Husband). Finally, layer with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. 

Italian Turkey and Polenta
Adapted from: Elefantitas Alegres


Another of my attempts at making a beef dish with ground turkey. I can't say that it translated well, but it wasn't bad. I think it would have been better with a more robust tomato sauce. Modifications: As I said, I used ground turkey instead of beef, but I also left out the red pepper flakes for me and Firefly. We also aren't so concerned about cooking light so I used whole milk and a large, unmeasured amount of cheeses.

Greek Quesadillias
Adapted from: Annie's Eats 


This turned out quite yummy as you can tell by the picture of a happy Firefly below. I don't know if he liked the flavor as much as momma did, but he sure did like feeding himself and taking huge ginormous little bites. Modifications: Totally forgot to buy spinach that week so that was left out. However, I think in the future I might used basil leaves instead. We also left out the black olives because, well, yuck!


Orange Pork Chops
Adapted from: FoodNetwork


These were delicious, but we were all feeling kind of crappy and didn't eat a lot of them. The orange juice made a delicious crusty layer that I loved. Modifications: I left off the garnish ingredients but used the other ingredients in mostly the directed way. I'll have to try this one again some time. I served it with...

Brussels Sprout and Quinoa Slaw
Adapted from: Eat, Live, Run


We really fell in love with this dish. It would be a great summer slaw, served cold or even a cranberry dish for the holidays. Modifications: I left out the bacon because it just seemed like a lot of work I didn't think the dish necessarily NEEDED it and opted to used quinoa - a grain- in place of couscous - pasta. We also used cranberries instead of bing cherries. Cranberries are way more cost efficient!

That's all I have for that week and last week? The new recipes that I had planned were scrapped in favor of a trip to Wendy's on the way home from the emergency room. More on that later...

For now the sick little Firefly is waking up from his nap!



No comments: