Monday, March 26, 2012

Two-by-Two Hands of Blue

(If you don't get the reference from the title, go watch Firefly and Serenity. Your inner geek will thank you.)

As some of you know, our little Firefly was sick. He had a cold, a virus. It was nothing to worry about, just a couple of days home with momma and some meds to keep his fever down. 

Earlier That Day

He went down for his afternoon nap and when he woke up was clingy and starting to feel warm again. I let him lay on my chest for a few minutes and just as I was getting up to measure out his medicine, he lifted his head off my chest, looked around, began drooling and his eyes round up in his head. I called Husband because that's what you do when daddy is a doctor. 

By the time he answered his phone Firefly had started shaking in a full body seizure. Husband started going through his emergency lists and just as he asked me if Firefly was still breathing, he stopped.  

My baby boy wasn't breathing. His lips were turning blue.

I called 911. EMTs came. 

The seizure stopped when the were coming in the front door and he finally started breathing again. They gave him oxygen and we got a ride in the ambulance. He was strapped down and was just staring at me, groggy and not really able to understand what was going on around him. (I was trying not to puke, with the adrenaline and car sickness in the back of that truck.)

The seizure lasted under 5 minutes, but it took Firefly about an hour to regain his strength and his ability to take in his surroundings. When he did, he latched onto me and wouldn't let go. Husband met us at the hospital and we went through a few tests to make sure there wasn't something really wrong with him.

What happened was that Firefly's fever spiked to quickly and he had a Febrile Seizure. Luckily, they are generally benign and may never occur again. He was predisposed to them because there is genetic component and I had had one when I was 18 months old. 

Still nothing prepares you to watch your child's lips turn blue. 

Not being able to do anything about it. 
Have to wait out the seizure.
Seeing his small frame bundled up and strapped to a stretcher, huge by comparison.
In the tiniest little green hospital gown.

He did so well, even ate the applesauce they brought for him and learned to drink out of a straw.

That small cold made its rounds in the household and Firefly and Husband were both sick and miserable together.

He was even back to his cute self when Grandma came down to stay with him while I had to back to work. (Until he got an ear infection on top of everything. sigh.) 

This was, by far, the scariest situation that I have ever been in (topping listening to his unborn heartbeat slowing drop during labor). I am proud of myself for staying calm, remembering details and handling the situation appropriately. 

Still, let's never do anything like this every again. Ok Firefly? Ok.


Perfectly Imperfect said...

oh girl!! how terrifying!! so glad he's okay!

legallymarried said...

Oh my goodness. This just happened to another friend's son as well.... how scary.

One of the many things that are frightening about parenthood. Hope he's feeling better.