Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Menu Monday {20-Feb-12}

This last week was a disaster in the kitchen. First, Husband wasn't able to make it to the grocery until FRIDAY! So our meal plan flew out the window and I had to throw together meals from what we had on hand. Firefly was happy because he got to have mac 'n cheese the night daddy was on call, but the rest of the week... it was sad panda

I just love his frowny face

Here's what I did manage to scrape together:

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
Adapted from: Polish the Stars
I made this for lunch to serve during Firefly's first playdate with an adorable little 2 month old baby girl (ok maybe it was a mommy date...) and I literally threw it in the crockpot while we were rushing out the door to get to the gym on schedule because I forgot i needed to start it. I think it went over well, but my friend would be to nice to tell me otherwise. Modifications: I added 32oz of chicken broth instead of 14 because it didn't look like enough liquid. It seemed like it would be kind of bland to me, so I also added some pepper, ancho chille powder, marjoram and garlic powder. I had husband put the biscuits in while I answered to door and they all congealed together and when we went to eat some of them were not cooked through. Next time I think I might use crescent rolls or another store bought pastry.

Balsamic Vinegar Pork Chops with Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
Adapted from: la Petite Maison Verte
This was a meal that I just kind of threw together and I didn't feel well so I can't really attest to how it turned out. Modification: This is really a recipe for roasted vegetables that I applied to potatoes and carrots and carried over to the seared pork. I seared the pork and while still in a hot pan added balsamic vinegar. The vinegar cooked off leaving behind delicious caramelized, burned bits. I transfer the pork to a plate to keep warm while I made a pan sauce with garlic, chicken broth and vinegar. 

So there you have it. A week of hodge podge. Happy Eating!

No comments: